Pakistanwap News

Hassan Nasir: Communist leader killed in custody at Lahore Fort

Hassan Nasir: Communist leader killed in custody at Lahore Fort

Hassan Nasir: Communist leader killed in custody at Lahore Fort

The gravediggers removed the soil from the freshly made tomb and found a new wooden coffin. The upper lid was opened and a corpse wrapped in a shroud was found inside. When the shroud was removed from the head and feet, it was found that the body was very rotten.

During the operation at the Miani Sahib Cemetery in Lahore, an elderly woman stepped forward, groped the body’s hair, looked at the forehead, looked at the teeth like a dentist, and saw the structure of the feet. Then a relatively full voice came out, “This is not my son’s body.” The oppressors had killed my son, they would have given him the body. ‘

The elderly woman was Zehra Alambardar who had come to Lahore from Hyderabad Deccan exclusively to pick up her son’s body. His son, Hassan Nasir, was a prominent Communist Student Leader of Pakistan and earlier United India.

Hassan was claimed by police to have committed suicide during the interrogation, while his accomplices alleged that the cause of his death was violence.

Who was Hassan Nasir?

Hassan Nasir’s father, Syed Alambardar, was the private secretary to the president of the Hyderabad Deccan, Maharaja Sarkshan Prashad Bahadur (who was himself a poet and a friend of Allama Iqbal) and held the post of private secretary in subsequent governments.

Hassan’s mother Zahra Alambardar was the daughter of Syed Mehdi Ali alias Nawab Mohsin-ul-Mulk, the founder of the All India Muslim League and a colleague of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan. His father, including the Inspector General of Revenue, served in the state of Hyderabad for several decades.
Doi Kumar wrote in the November 28, 2004 issue of Andhra Joti that Hassan Nasir’s uncles include Abid Hassan Safrani, who was a friend of Subhash Chandra Bose in the days when he was living in Germany while studying engineering.

The slogan ‘Jai Hind’, popularized by the Independent Indian Army, is the religion of Abid Hassan Safrani and he was on the same flight during which Bose died, but he interrupted the journey which caused the accident. Survived the victim.

He was imprisoned in Burma and Singapore and posted to various countries by the Foreign Office after the partition of India.
Former president of Darul Uloom Hyderabad Noorul Hassan writes that Hassan Nasir was the second eldest son of his elder brother Syed Alambardar.

He was born in August 1928 and received his early education at the Grammar School. He was a very good speaker since he was a student and he was very fluent in English.

He wanted to go to Oxford University for higher education, but his father did not consider it appropriate to send him to the United Kingdom and told him that he could go abroad to study after completing his BA.

In a state of despair, Hassan went to Aligarh Intermediate, where a senior Cambridge student was admitted to the second year and survived for a year. The world of Aligarh was unique to him and he came in contact with the boys of Bhanat Bhanat. Then he came back and entered Nizam College for BA.

Adopting communist philosophy, Nasir left home

Former president of Darul Uloom Hyderabad Noorul Hassan writes that Hassan Nasir had a close relationship with his own cousin Kokabdari.

Aquarius was a young man with communist ideas. He introduced Nasser to the ideology of Karl Marx and developed a passion for reading communist books, as a result of which Nasser adopted communist philosophy, dropped out of school and left home.

Dr. Raj Bahadur Gaur writes in the August 13, 1973 issue of the weekly New Adam Hyderabad that Hassan Nasir was affiliated with the Hyderabad Deccan Student Union and in March 1942, student strikes by Subhash Chandra Bose demanding the release of Indian National Army leaders. I was ahead.

Doi Kumar says he organized a massive protest at Jamia Umthaniya demanding the unconditional release of AIADMK soldiers. He believes the reason for the protest may be the imprisonment of his uncles in a Singapore jail.
Protest against Nazim of Hyderabad Deccan

Hassan Nasir was inspired by Makhdoom Mohi-ud-Din Khadri, a revolutionary poet of the Hyderabad Deccan and a participant in the armed struggle of the peasants of Telangana.

Dr. Raj Bahadur Gaur writes that 1947 was the year of forced democratic struggle in the former state of Hyderabad and “India was either free and slave and Hyderabad was the main slave. On July 31, 1947, a procession of more than 25,000 students approached the President of the State Congress to launch a public struggle. Hassan Nasir was also among the leaders of the procession. Then in August and September there were massive student strikes and fights and the Indian government made a shameful deal with the system.

Pakistan migration and Rawalpindi conspiracy case

Hassan Nasir then moved to Bombay where he remained associated with other communist leaders, including Sajjad Zaheer. After the formation of Pakistan, the organizational leadership of the Indian Communist Party and under the influence of this ideology, writers and poets came to Pakistan, including Sajjad Zaheer, Sibt Hassan, Sahir Ludhianvi and others. At the request of Sajjad Zaheer, Hassan Nasir moved to Pakistan.

Tanveer Sheikh, a former leader of the Communist Party of Pakistan, writes that the party leadership was arrested in connection with the Port Trust and Tramway strikes in late 1948 and early 1949, and that Hassan Nasir had to assume organizational responsibilities. He also continued his activities in hiding and was made secretary of the Sindh Provincial Committee and a member of the Central Secretariat.

In 1948, on the issue of Kashmir

Deportation from Pakistan to India

After his release in 1952, Hassan Nasir rejoined the party and was arrested again and deported in 1954.

Professor and columnist Professor Tauseef Ahmed says that Hassan Nasir’s mother came to pick him up in Karachi and he met Fakhruddin G. Ibrahim, who had some influence on Hassan. Then at his request he agreed to go to India with his mother.

Hassan Nasir’s political colleague and lawyer Major Ishaq Mohammad in his book ‘Martyrdom of Hassan Nasir’ mentions the meeting with his mother Zahra Alambardar. Zahra Alambardar told him that Pakistan was very dear to Hassan Nasir. When he returned to Hyderabad Deccan after deportation, his relatives tried their best to stay there somehow or go to England, Europe or America for education. It was even called the Andhra Pradesh Communist Party. However, his mother herself did not stop Nasir from returning to Pakistan because she knew that Hassan would not stop. She did not want him to leave and carry the burden of his mother’s disobedience.

Tanveer Sheikh writes that despite all the consultations in 1956, Hassan returned to Pakistan as soon as the period of exile ended and according to the party’s decision, he would become the office secretary of the All Pakistan National Awami Party.

When martial law was imposed in 1956, Hassan Nasir had to go into hiding.

Meeting with the Russian Ambassador

Sajjad Zaheer, the founding leader of the nascent Communist Party of Pakistan, returned to India after his release in the Rawalpindi conspiracy case and never returned, and Hassan Nasir emerged as a dynamic leader.

Hamza Work writes in People’s Democracy that the Ayub Khan government was tightening its grip on left-wing politics in Pakistan in order to join US-sponsored defense deals such as Seto and Santo. Hassan Nasir and the Left leadership feared that Ayub Khan was turning Pakistan into a full-fledged US base.

Hassan met the Russian ambassador to Pakistan to thwart the conspiracy against Pakistan and asked him to help Pakistan financially so that Pakistan could stand on its own two feet.

According to him, as a result of this meeting, when Ayub Khan’s Minister of Minerals Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto visited the Soviet Union in 1960, an agreement was reached between Russia and Pakistan to explore for oil in Pakistan.

You may be wondering how Hassan Nasir met the Russian ambassador and persuaded him to help Pakistan? The CIA also tried to find out.
Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s anxiety

In ‘The Martyrdom of Hassan Nasir’, Major Ishaq Mohammad writes, referring to the afternoon of November 19, 1960, that when he entered Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s room, he found him sad and depressed and started drinking tea. They went to a nearby restaurant.

Faiz asked in a terrified manner, “Do you know which of our men is locked up in the fort?”

Hassan Nasir, I said. Faiz replied, “Yes,” and added that he had been locked up there for the past month, so I doubted if he was there or not. When I asked a CID man, he refused, saying he was from Karachi. However, a gentleman told me a few days ago that he was under house arrest and was being tortured.

The author writes that Faiz Ahmed Faiz told him that Hameed Akhtar (a pro-communist journalist) had told him that the husband of a woman in his neighborhood was locked up in the fort. On the recommendation of Syed Ijaz Shah of Hameed Akhtar’s intelligence, the woman has been allowed to take food to her husband. The woman said that a political prisoner was being tortured in the fort and other residents of the fort were shocked by her mournful roar. The woman said that after that the fort was kept closed for three days and she could not get rid of her husband.

Faiz Ahmed Faiz later wrote on the cover of Major Ishaq’s book that ‘two or three years have passed. When Ayub Khan’s military government was established, they were again imprisoned. This time he saw the horrible prisons of Lahore Fort. Released four or five months later. A few days after his release, one evening on Mall Road, he met a warden of Lahore Fort who told us that a new prisoner had come to the fort with us and died two days ago. The same evening or the next day we met with Ishaq and we both decided that whether or not this prisoner would be Hassan Nasir.

Search for Hassan Nasir’s relatives in Pakistan

Major Ishaq writes that he was looking for a close relative of Hassan Nasir because only his relatives could meet those detained in the fort. He wished that if any of his relatives came to visit him, he might stand up for oppression.

Ata, a colleague in Karachi, said he knew one of Hassan’s uncles, who is a doctor. The next night, Atta’s phone rang and he found the doctor upset. The uncles considered Atta a man of the secret police and took care of him and said that he was a heart patient. Atta expressed ignorance of this.

When Atta delivered my message, he became depressed and sobbed and said that nothing can happen now and got up and left. Shortly afterwards, his wife went mad and shouted and kicked Ata out of the house.

The ignorance of the royal fort prison authorities

Major Ishaq writes that on November 21, he contacted Mian Mahmood Ali Kasuri, who specializes in fighting civil rights cases. In addition, he, Kasuri and Hassan Nasir all belonged to the National Awami Party.

After hearing the whole story, Kasuri, instead of rushing to the court, approached those in whose custody Hassan Nasir was.

He telephoned Superintendent of Police Prince Habib Ahmed who told Kasuri that since Hassan Nasir was from Karachi, he had no information about Hassan.

In 1988, during Benazir Bhutto’s first term, the Royal Fort’s penitentiary was completely closed.

Referring to the situation in the 1960s, Major Ishaq writes, “The official status of Lahore’s Royal Fort detention center is that of a small jail or sub-jail under the supervision of the Deputy Inspector General of CID. The elephants enter the fort through the gate and go up the road and turn right as soon as they reach the level of the field in front of the Diwan-e-Aam.

Inside the gate is a row of rooms on the left. The prison is actually a CID interrogation center. At one time about twenty prisoners were kept here and after interrogation they were sent to the general jail. I was taken to the fort twice. “

Hassan Nasir’s suicide?

Major Ishaq writes that he asked Mahmood Ali Kasuri to file a petition for imprisonment in the High Court, so at the same time the petition was typed and filed in the High Court and Kasuri took it manually to the late Chief Justice MR Kayani. gone.

The petition, while declaring the custody illegal, stated that a rumor had been circulating in Lahore and Karachi for the past two days that Nasir had been killed or that he was dead or in such a state that Her life is in danger.

On the same day, Chief Justice MR Kayani issued orders that the detainee should be produced before the court immediately and a responsible officer of the court should take the order to the Civil Secretariat. Major Ishaq took a Superintendent of the High Court to the Civil Secretariat and was sent to the Deputy Secretary for Home Affairs. They were given this message.

The deputy secretary got up and went to another room and returned and wrote a two-line reply to the High Court order stating that the CID had informed him that Hassan Nasir had been sentenced to one year in Karachi on August 16 under the Protection of Pakistan Act. He was taken into custody and reportedly committed suicide on November 13.

“As soon as I heard this, I got angry and shouted that this is nonsense. They hanged him first and now they are defaming him.”

‘Lawyers catch ears’

Major Ishaq says he returned to the High Court and informed Kasuri. The case came back to the Chief Justice and he handed it over to another judge Shabir Ahmed. He ordered that since Kasuri wanted to discuss, if there was a magistrate’s report, it should be presented in court and if it was not complete, he should be allowed to participate in it.

Kasuri had made it clear that he would be able to pursue the case in the High Court but would not go to the lower court. However, he offered to pay the fees of another lawyer. “We all worked hard to find an experienced lawyer, but whoever he was talking to, he touched his ears and pressed his tongue under his teeth, thus expressing his disability, after which (Kasuri) personally The lawsuit was settled out of court.

Suicide by putting pain in the nail?

Written affidavits were submitted to the court by the CID police. An eyewitness, 50-year-old Bakha Khakrub, was told that he had cleaned his room at 8am when the deceased was reading a newspaper on his bed. There was no conversation between them and never.

After that, after eleven o’clock, when he went to put the finale, the Tufail soldier opened the door. When I went inside, I saw the deceased hanging from the wall. When I shouted, the Lions officer and other men came.

ASI Shabbir Hussain Khan said in his affidavit that he was informed by Bakha Khakrub that Hassan Nasir was hanging from a trap in his room. “I immediately jumped into the room and saw him hanging by an auger with an iron nail.”

The ASI said in the affidavit, “I took him down from the nail and tried to get him to breathe, but to no avail.” I then rushed to the dispensary of the Provincial Armed Police Reserve to seek medical help but could not find a suitable person there as it was a Sunday letter. I then telephoned the DIG police and informed them.

Major Ishaq himself had twice been imprisoned in the royal fort. He writes that he knew that there were no nails in the walls of the castle rooms because he had difficulty in hanging his clothes many times, but the organizers apologized saying that it was strictly forbidden to drive nails into the walls.
Nasir mentioned the names of his colleagues during the interrogation?

The Assistant Deputy Inspector General of Police (AIG) CID said in his affidavit that Hassan Nasir was arrested on the orders of the administrator under the Protection of Pakistan Law and was brought to Lahore Fort on September 13, 1960 to be released by the CID and the deputy. Officers of the Director Intelligence Bureau Lahore could investigate.

According to the statement, the interrogation of Nasir was completed on October 24 and on October 29, SPCID Karachi was informed that the accused was no longer needed so he should be recalled and 4 names.

Was any accomplice involved in the arrest of Hassan Nasir?

Many in Hassan Nasir’s party believe he was arrested on a tip-off. Tanveer Sheikh writes that Hassan was arrested in 1960 because of some traitors.

London-based barrister Sibghatullah Qadri, in his memoir “Broken Memories and Talks”, mentions his arrest as a student and writes that he was taken from prison to the CIA center where he was interrogated. Nasser was known where he was. There are also questions as to who are the people who belong to this party. Where does the message come from? How is the funding, where is Hassan Nasir?

According to Sibghatullah Qadri, he thinks that some members of the Communist Party had become agents of the government. Hassan Nasir was arrested while coming from the house of a comrade in PECHS area of ​​Karachi and then he was shifted to Lahore Fort.

Major Ishaq writes in his book that before the arrest of Hassan Nasir, some activists of the National Awami Party and related organizations were arrested. It was rumored at the time that one of the detainees had given his whereabouts as a result of fear of NICID violence or torture, which led to his arrest.

Some of them had placed the entire responsibility for their own and others’ political activities on the shoulders of Hassan Nasir, which in the eyes of the secret police had made him so big a fanatic that he was detained and tortured in Lahore Fort. Honorable

A short corpse was declared beautiful

At the request of Major Ishaq Mohammad, the High Court finally ordered exhumation and re-postmortem. The court received a telegram from Hyderabad Deccan from Hassan Nasir’s mother Zahra Alambardar Hussain that she was coming to Lahore to pick up her son’s body. Therefore, the body should be exhumed in their presence.

On December 12, 1960, Mayani Sahib was buried in the cemetery and Hassan Nasir’s mother Zahra Alambardar clarified that it was not her son’s body. In an interview given in 1973 for the special edition of ‘Haft Roza Naya Adam’, Zahra Alambardar, the mother of Hassan Nasir, had said that Hassan would grow taller and taller. The Pakistanis showed him a short corpse and tried to convince him that it was Nasir’s corpse.

He said he was intimidated. She has not forgotten the gravediggers in the cemetery, but she is not afraid. He opened the legs of the corpse and saw that Nasir had suffered an injury in his childhood and his mark was left on his feet. He did not find the mark on the corpse which was shown to him.

Major Ishaq filed a petition for Hassan Nasir’s imprisonment on November 22, 1960. On that day, the government claimed that Hassan had committed suicide on November 13, and when his body was found on December 20, his mother did not accept it.

Major Ishaq Mohammad writes in his book that his interest in the case was now superficial and the whole matter had become a terrible scandal. I should have sat down. CID staff should have been suspended.

Sixty years have passed since the mysterious death of Hassan Nasser. The High Courts of the four provinces are still hearing the petitions of several missing persons that their relatives are missing.

Previous post: Mohammad Rafi:who ‘invented’ film singing

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Adblock Detected

Please Turn off Your Adblocker. We respect your privacy and time. We only display relevant and good legal ads. So please cooperate with us. We are thankful to you